Monday, February 06, 2006

Watching from the shadows


Have you ever been told by someone to "behave" because you never know who's watching you? I have always tried to be the same if someone is looking or not. If I have a bad day or if I am a JERK to my wife, kids or many others, as I sometimes am, I really try not to "hide" anything. If someone is watching me, I can never fake it. The best thing I can do is let others see how much I need God's grace and theirs.

I guess the flip side of this topic is, If someone is watching you... who are you watching?

This last weekend I was blessed to be in a service which anointed Pastors to lead a body of believers here in the northwest. There were eleven men who were selected by their community to stand in the gap as shepherds.

Among them was a man who 13 years ago was an enemy of the Cross. I remember him well. Not because of who he was, it was his wife and kids and their persistence. I remember, his wife and children were at church and youth group most of the time. I remember his wife kept asking the body to pray for him. It seemed an impossible prayer because we could see the hurt in this woman and his kids. Yet, she never stopped asking for prayers and we never stopped praying.

I am not sure of the exact date, but, I will never forget the Sunday HE walked down the center aisle in tears, broken and ready to give his full life to Christ. I thought he kinda looked like Willie Nelson, beard, pony tail and a t-shirt. I will never forget when he came to church the first time with "short" hair. I didn't think he needed to cut his long hair, but I guess he did. I guess he knew he was changed in every way.

Years later, I remember when he became a deacon. He wasn't just a deacon who locked up the building, he served and assisted the Pastors of the church. He has given a lifetime of service, lost in youth but reclaimed as a child of the Cross.

As time went by God called me to the mission field, a place called Wenatchee. Though my home was elsewhere, I have always tried to keep tabs on my family south of me. I watched from the shadows. I believe it was almost six years ago... Maybe four when I heard that Mike would serve as an Elder. WOW! What God has done to you Mike... Would you have ever have guessed? It was awesome.

I have been watching Mike for many years and this weekend as he was re-instated as a Pastor I went to him and told Him... I have been watching you Mike.

"Mike, I will never forget your story. I have used it to declare the power and faithfulness of Jesus Christ to many that believe change is not possible. I am proud of you. Your service to the kingdom is a wonderful example to many who are watching. Your testimony of Christ has shaped me to see the limitless grace God has for all people." I was glad to tell him that he has pastored me.

He said, "Thank you." A tear formed in his eye. "If I ever blow it," he said, "will you tell me?" I said, "You bet Mike. I will always be watching and I will always be there for you... I promise."

As I walked away, I disappeared into the crowds and down the hall... However, I had stepped out of the shadows to share with Mike and I realized, I can never go back. He knows my name. It's a freedom I cannot explain. Mike knows he is not alone.

I will always be watching, but not from the shadows.

peace.
johno~

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Thanks for sharing this great story, Jonathan. That family's prayerful faith and persistence has been a powerful testimony to so many of us. Amazing!

Glenn said...

"Now for the rest of the story." I was the Dean of Students of Columbia Christian College when the Discipline Committee decided that he should no longer be part of our student body. In his eyes, I was he one who did it. Fast forward -- when he was nominated by the congregation as a possible Elder he pondered, "how can I serve with Glenn? He kicked me out of school!!" We worked through that with the assurance that God views us as equals, and that I do not hold "student" behavior against them in their adult life. What a thrill to have Mike become a fellow Elder - proof that God can work miracles with those who are willing. Now, I am being led by Mike to be a better Elder and person, especially in ways of gentleness. We enjoy being part of the same fellowship group.

Thank you Jonathon for a great blog, and thank you Mike for your friendship.