Thursday, February 09, 2006

A simple, personal, exercise.

Johnathan, how could I give you up?
My heart turns against it.
When Johnathan was a child I loved him,
I myself taught him to walk,
I took him in my arms;
Yet he has not understood that I was the one looking after him.
I led him with reins of kindness,
with leading-strings of love.
I was like someone who lifts an infant close against his cheek;
stooping down to him I gave him his food.
How could I treat you like Admah,
or deal with you like Zeboiim?
My heart recoils from it,
my whole being trembles at the thought.
I will not give reign to my fierce anger,
I will not destroy Ephraim again,
For I am God, not man;
I am the holy one in your midst
and have no wish to destroy.

Hosea 11:1a, 3-4, 8c-9

(An exercise from Brennan Manning's book, The Ragamuffin Gospel)

peace.
johno~

2 comments:

Jason Hill said...

2 lines that jump out at me:

Yet he has not understood that I was the one looking after him. how true

For I am God, not man; I'm thankful for this

Kristi said...

I love the gentle parental images - being held to His cheek, being fed by Him, holding on to His hand while learning to walk.

Beautiful exercise-