Saturday, February 25, 2006

Lead by the Spirit... Seeing the Spirit

This blog was intended to keep me watchful of how the Spirit is working in my life. It has been fun. I expect that this year will be filled with joy, laughter, and sorrow... but I still want to see the Spirit in it all so I keep my eyes open as best I can.

Tonight was a night that reminds me to watch.

Dawnette and I we planning on a double date to see the movie "The End of the Spear," however, it fell through because the double in our date had forgotten his wife had made plans... It's not his fault, it's mine for not planning sooner. Anyway, Dawnette and I still had plans for a babysitter so we thought we would do some "grown-up" things.

A quick trip to the store it was off to dinner... just the two of us. We told ourselves we would go to a place our kids didn't like. We were on our way to Mc Glenns when Dawnette thought about a BBQ place just out of town. GREAT! BBQ! What a wonderful woman. I had just driven by it earlier that day. So we did a 180 and headed to "Country Boys BBQ"

We spent the time talking about the baby's arrival, thing to buy and things to do. Then the conversation turned to my Summer camp job. As we went down the list of things Dawnette suggested we invite a couple that could focus on watching and praying with the campers. We thought of "Papa John" who serves at Faith Quest and is a real encouragement to the teens.

Who... Who. It would be great if it were an Elder and his wife. We thought of Elders from several congregations that we have worked with and went down the list of our Shepherds.

"Jim and Connie Aker," I said. Jim is a Shepherd at our congregation and both he and his wife would serve well. I was excited to ask them to be "prayerful" about their summer plans the following day.

My back was to the door and Dawnette said, "Look, there's Mike and Linda," friends of Jim and Connie, "and there's Jim and Connie." "WHAT!" I turned around and ran up to them and said, "We were just talking about you guys." We sat with them at their table, though Dawnette and I had finished our dinner, we had a great time.

Coincidence? I don't think so. Movie... NO! Dinner at the soup place? NO! Dinner at the BBQ place YES! Talking about Camp and thinking of Jim and Connie... YES! Jim and Connie walk in to have dinner in the same restaurant that Dawnette and I are in... SPIRIT! It really wasn't even dinner time anymore.

This might be a stretch, but I think God works like this all the time. It's just we don't see it or we are not looking for it.

Even if Jim and Connie can't make it this summer, relationships were built and the body was given strength. Praise God for that.

So, what have YOU seen the Spirit of God do today?

peace.
johno~

0 comments: