Monday, December 05, 2005

When I grow up...

YEAH! I finally figured out how to add my own personal header. It only took several long hours of reading websites and a bit of trial and error... OK, a lot of trial and even more ERROR.

Last night was our celebration Sunday worship at church. It's a time to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. I took my camera and walked around taking some pics. My friend Kim wanted to see my camera and as she held it, in my direction, she snapped the shot above in the "new" header. With a little photoshop, taa-daaaa! New look. Thanks Kim.

Here is a shot I captured last night... Walt Hamilton.


When I first moved here to Wenatchee, I was in the office for the second day when Walt showed up to let us know his wife had passed away sometime that morning... It was a sorrowful time and not the best way to meet someone for the first time. It make you think of your future with your wife and who will have the blessing of going home first. However, the sorrow was felt. He would be going home second. He would have to sit at the table with one plate and go to an empty bed at night. I couldn't even begin to imagine.

Since that difficult time I have come to know Walt on a more personal level. Not a defeated man named Walt Hamilton, but a victorious saint and servant of the most high God. He grew up in Goldendale and his family owned a farm, that to this day still has the name "Hamilton" on a big white barn which can be seen on the westside of hwy 97.

To those of us here, he is known as Grandpa Walt and he is the kind of Christian man I want to be when I grow up.

He loves to talk to you and grab your arm so you can't run away.
He crosses icy parking lots every Sunday and Wednesday to meet with the saints
He prays in the King James language
He quotes scripture... in the KJV language
He says, "thank you"
He laughs
He cries
He fought for and loves his country
He calls my kids, all of them, peanut
He opens doors for the ladies
He takes his time
He listens... even when he can't hear you
He is a traditional believer but loves to see young people love Jesus
He says, "God bless you"
He watches TV... really loud
He makes you stop and want to visit
He wears a tie
He supports the great commission
He speaks with knowledge and authority
He says, "I don't know"
He Drives! but not fast
He tells stories of his past
He writes letters to students in Africa, through World Bible School
He is alive
He loves God
He is saved by the blood of the Lamb

I would like to be like him when I grow up.

peace.
johno~

2 comments:

Jason Hill said...

I'd like to meet that guy.

Anonymous said...

You're Welcome Johnathan!
Does this mean that I get to play with your camera more often?