Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A day that will live...

I wanted to take a moment of time and remember the price paid for freedom.



It's difficult to live in the shadow of such a horrific time that changed the world. War is war. Yet, today another battle is being fought for freedom. Does it matter if it's my freedom that's being fought for or not to make war just? Freedom has a price. Period.

If we are to accept the "freedom" to sling mud at our leaders then we must know that in order to do so a price must be paid. It's freedom. Choose to use your freedom to build not to destroy. Enough has been destroyed.



I never met Howard Eugene, but he paid a price for freedom. Thank you Howard.

I love the song written by William Whiting, Eternal Father, Strong to Save...

The original hymn was written by William Whiting of Winchester, England, in 1860. It was originally intended as a poem for a student of his, who was about to travel to the United States. In 1861, John B. Dykes, an Episcopalian clergyman, composed the tune "Melita" for this hymn. ("Melita" is an archaic term for Malta, the site of a shipwreck involving the Apostle Paul mentioned in Acts of the Apostles chapters 27-28.)
Like many hymns, this hymn can also be considered a prayer.
source, en.wikipedia.org

What a nice prayer... Read carefully and remember the hope we have in Christ.

The original words are:

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
O Christ! Whose voice the waters heard
And hushed their raging at Thy word,
Who walked'st on the foaming deep,
And calm amidst its rage didst sleep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
Most Holy Spirit! Who didst brood
Upon the chaos dark and rude,
And bid its angry tumult cease,
And give, for wild confusion, peace;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

Peace.
johno~

2 comments:

Jason Hill said...

Wow, thanks for the history on that song. I'll be incorporating that into a service at some point thank you for the insight.

I too am thankful to those with the courage to fight for the freedom of people they will never meet.

Adam Wolfgang said...

I am thankful that Jesus offers me freedom. I can be free in my soul regardless of my physical state, of course I haven't really had a chance to test this, and I pray that God keeps me safe so I don't. So I too owe a thanks to Howard Eugene, thank you sir.