Sunday, January 15, 2006

to the 99



I sometimes wonder what the 99 sheep did while the Shepherd went out to find the one that was lost. Did they even notice the Shepherds absence? Did they care? Did the Shepherd provide so much comfort they didn't realize the one that had been lost? Perhaps they were just stupid.

In the past, I have talked about the opportunities we have when we are being lead by the Spirit. Tonight was a night like that. The funny thing is, I almost missed it. During our teen small group, we focused on lifting our lives to Jesus in song. In the final moments, I asked the students in attendance to break into two prayer groups. I told them to pray for friends, family or perhaps, personal spiritual needs. I tried to remind them of the Spirit who placed the seed of the Salvation in the belly of a young Jewish girl also offers Salvation to live inside us.

Having a wife, currently pregnant, I hear her grunts when the child inside her "kicks" or "spins". Sometimes it's a hand or a foot, sometimes it's the butt. I know it's not pleasant, however, I sometimes envy this. To have life inside you... I can only imagine.

Yet, I do have life in me. I do feel the kicks to my gut. I do feel the hands pressing against my insides and revealing something. It is Christ in me. ALIVE.

During our prayer time, the Spirit lead my friend, Steve, to that opportunity with his stepdaughter.

Though it has been a difficult battle for him and his family, tonight the enemy lost one and Christ found one. I was one of the ninety nine. I was gathered with the other sheep. To tell the truth, the grass was pretty good. The spot where I was laying was warm and I have to admit I was feeling unaware of my surroundings but taken care of while the Spirit reached out to the fallen lamb.

Her cry to Jesus was answered and she lost her life to death and gained her life in Christ. I was able to witness her death, burial and resurrection in Christ. It was great to once again find reassurance in the hands of the Saints of a living Savior. Thank you Jesus.

So to the ninety nine, one was lost, but now she's been found. Thought you might want to know.

Pray for her this week. Her name is Lindsey.

peace.
johno~

2 comments:

Jason Hill said...

I've been admiring your photog skills for quite a while, and it must be said today that this is picture evokes one of the strongest emotions I've ever felt while viewing your work. I know, in part, it is because I have a connection to the event, but the composition reaches out and grabs me. Well done.

Johnathan M. Thomas said...

Thanks J, that means a lot to me.