Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Holding the hands of Saints

What a day. It's been a while since I've been in the office. Not since last year... Ha! OK, not funny, however, today will be one of those life changing moments for me. It is the "being lead by the Spirit" days.

I received a call shortly after arriving at work today, one I'm not accustom to receiving. It was a call that would have gone to the Minister, not the "youthdude," had our minister been in town and not in Texas working on his Dmin at ACU. So, any calls default to the guy who wears a t-shirt that says, "These ARE my church clothes."

It was a call from a wonderful Christian lady who wanted me meet her at the care center where her mother-in-law had slipped into a coma and was looking at the end of her faithful service to the kingdom here on earth.

I arrived within 20 minutes, which would have been sooner had I known where I was going... Who knew how big these care centers could be. Anyway, upon arriving, I found Betty at the side of Bernice's bed speaking gentle words. Marlon, Bernice's son was in the room also. I arrived in my "church" clothes and took off my hat and stood near the bed.

Bernice looked peaceful... Had I just been passing by I would have thought it was afternoon nap time. Marlon had told me that she had gone to sleep Sunday and had not awoken nor had she had anything to eat.

Betty asked me to take her place on the bedside next to her mother-in-law. I started to talk to Bernice. I told her who I was and that I had come to pray with her. As I spoke to her of her faithfulness to Jesus and how encouraging that had been to me. Her eyes fluttered, but they did not open. As I continued, I sensed she wanted to say something so badly but couldn't get the words out. I placed my hand on her shoulder and prayed with her and I prayed for her.

When I finished my prayer, both of her hands slowly went up in the air! I put my hand in hers and she grabbed it and gave it a nice firm grip. She didn't let go. Marlon, her son, grabbed the other hand and held it. For a moment I thought she was going to wake up and open her eyes. However, a few moments later, Marlon placed her hand back on her stomach. I couldn't let go, her grip was still to great. I truly felt unworthy to be holding this faithful Christian woman's hand in her last moments. It should be one of her children, not me. Yet, I didn't let go.

I finally asked Betty to come hold her hand. Her grip gave away shortly after.

As I left the care center, Marlon told me the doctors guess her passing to be soon. I got in my car and sat for a moment and thought, "what a gift." I held the hand of a Saint who will soon hold the hands of Jesus. I am not sure if I have ever felt that physically close to my savior. I wanted to return to Bernice and whisper in her ear, "give Him a hug for me."

I can understand Paul when he penned, "for me to live is Christ and to die is gain."

That afternoon, I met with a student who will turn 18 on Monday. He shared his struggles of not yielding his life completely over to Jesus. He said, "I just feel like, like I'm going to say yes to Jesus and then do something worse that will blow it." I told him in Christ there is nothing that can separate you from the love of God. That is the beauty of the love of God. Grace. Reach out for Him and grab hold of Him because He is not far from you. Always.

When we returned to the building to pick up his car, I prayed and asked him if he wanted to pray, he did. I asked him if he needed to give his life fully to Christ tonight and die to self. He said yes. We called his parents, some family friends and my family to join in the commitment he would make to God through Christ. The small group gathered as Curt went into a watery grave and was raised up new in Christ. I could hear the echos of heaven and the shouts of victory from the Saints on the other side.

As our tradition, we closed in prayer... in a circle... holding hands. I realize, even more, how close Christ is... It is evident in the hands of the Saints.

Peace.
johno~

0 comments: