Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Road to Gaza (part 1)

(This story is a part of who I am. It has help me in my search for myself and how I live and see others. It is also a very long thought. I have decided to make this several parts to keep readers from being bored to tears.)



Not to long ago, one of my dedicated readers sent me a note asking, "Why the 'Road to Gaza?'" I was eager to answer, however, my feelings or passion to get myself into these words, I knew, would take some time. Time. Some days I have it and some days I don't. That is a personal struggle and I ask for your prayers not your criticism.

It does seem funny, I suppose from an outsiders view, for a 37 year old, white male American to name his personal weblog, (blog) Road2Gaza. I mean, I’ve never been to Israel or touched foot on any “holy” land in my life. More so, a land called “holy” yet carries generation upon generation of bloodshed and persecution. How could this land be called “holy” set apart. “the land of milk and honey?”

Yet, out of all this, the road to Gaza, out of all the roads to choose from this one road that travels South down from Jerusalem to Gaza would find it’s way in my life.

To give a bit of history regarding this road here is a bit of information regarding Gaza.

Strategically located on the Mediterranean coastal route, ancient Gaza was a prosperous trade center and a stop on the caravan route between Egypt and Syria. The city was occupied by Egypt around the 15th century BCE. Philistines settled the area several hundred years later, and Gaza became one of their chief cities.
In 145 BCE Gaza was conquered by Jonathan the Hasmonean (Brother of Judah the Maccabee). There was a prospering Jewish presence in Gaza until the Roman ruler Gavinius expelled them in 61 CE as part of the First Jewish-Roman War. In the times of the Mishnah and the Talmud there was a large Jewish community in Gaza, and on one of the pillars of the Great Mosque of Gaza there was a Greek inscription which read "Hananiah bar Yaakov" (a Hebrew name) with a menorah carved above it. This column was originally part of a Byzantine-era synagogue, destroyed at an unknown date…

-wikipedia

In short, it was a stop between travels. The "road" to Gaza in any direction would be people coming and going to and from their homes for many reasons… It was a travelers road. It is not about Gaza itself, but the travelers road and those who travel on it.

peace.
johno~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

johno,

a problem - "one of my dedicated readers" - the most dedicated reader! here i am, commenter #1!

a slight correction - road number 4, portrayed in the photo, gaza - ashkelon, doesn't directly reach jerusalem. it is part of the ancient 'road of the sea', via maris, as explained in wikipedia a very important route from egypt to syria.

a suggestion - come here and let's travel the road together!

i can't wait for part two!

and i also want to say hi to don (52people52lives) "hi don! it's an honor to read johno's kind words about you!"

nir
jerusalem

Jason Hill said...

Ok, so its the road, not the destination. I'm ready for part 2.

KMiV said...

Hmmm, you have me hooked and I am looking forward to where you are going with this.
Ron