Thursday, April 26, 2007

Road to Gaza (part 2)

Now enter a story about a two travelers who inspired me.

Acts 8:26-39
Philip and the Ethiopian
26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, "Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." 27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians. This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the book of Isaiah the prophet. 29 The Spirit told Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it."
30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked.
31 "How can I," he said, "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.
32 The eunuch was reading this passage of Scripture: (Isaiah 53)
"He was led like a sheep to the slaughter, 
and as a lamb before the shearer is silent, so he did not open his mouth. 33In his humiliation he was deprived of justice. Who can speak of his descendants? 
 For his life was taken from the earth."
34 The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?" 35Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.
36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?" 37 Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." The eunuch answered, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.


It’s a fairly simple story, (spared over time, delivered by the Spirit), but it most likely would not rate in the top 100 best known documented stories of this new beginning movement which was sometimes called, “the Way.”

However, it’s in this story I found the name “Road to Gaza.” It’s a simple story of two men, two worlds, two men listening to one God and lastly, a mysterious unknown ending. When I first took the time to really read this story, I would end up asking, “What just happened here?” I'm not sure if I really "got" it the first few times reading it. I guess I would have to say it took several years. Yet, It challenged me to listen, watch and eventually I would act. It is a story that is larger than the recorded words on one page could fill. As I read this story over and over again, I’ve come to see a bigger picture of God’s everlasting story and the LORDS enduring story in my life, because of these two men who met on the road to Gaza.

So the journey continues and soon to follow will be more of my thoughts.

peace.
johno~

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've heard this story from you before. i remember because i had to look up 'eunuch' in the dictionary and because then, as now, like you testify about yourself until recent years, i have not yet reached an ultimate understanding...

perhaps part 3, your thoughts on the passage will help me better understand.

have a wonderful weekend!

oh, and i'm going to try to understand exactly what is meant by the desert road from jerusalem to gaza. i'll let you know.

nir
jerusalem