Sunday, January 21, 2007

A difficult day

What a week. I learned that a missionary friend, age 30, in Uganda was killed in auto accident and one of my former students father, age 52, died from a massive stroke. What a week.

Today was the memorial service for Nicks father. Nick was one of those students I worked with who either was going to be a minister or in prison. I know, I sat in court with him one time. However, prison was not where Nick would end up. There is a God... He is alive.

Seeing Nick today made me feel proud of what this young man has accomplished. However, today, he would bury his father. Fifty-two is to young. It breaks my heart that Nick will be married in 3 weeks and his father will not be there.

Nicks father was an awesome man. I heard it from many.

It made me think. Listening to Nick speak about his father, hearing co-workers sharing about Dale and his employee of the month award which he received for the month of January 2007. All stories of a man who cared for others, laughed and loved life. It made me think...

What will my children say about me? Who will share at my memorial the life they saw me live? How do I live as seen from others? Do I know? Could I stand up and say a few words myself? (of course if I did that would be freaky but pretty cool).

All I know is... There is no promise of tomorrow on this earth. I'm not even guaranteed today but I do have an eternity. What will I leave my family, my friends to hold on to until we meet again? Again? What a blessed thought. Until we meet again.

I hope my legacy is a life of Grace received by a Father who rescued me. He came looking for me when I was hurt and alone.

I'm not sure what I'll leave behind, or what people will think, but I hope it was a message of salvation that lives beyond this lowly shadowland.

peace.
johno~

3 comments:

Jebodiah Bristow-Hanna said...

Death always does the same thing to me too. What will people say of me? To be honest I sometimes enjoy funerals. It seems that life only makes sense in light of death. purpose pops its head up in eulogy's.

I would say some really good things about you by the way. most of them being true:)

sarah said...

i've been feeling the same way since hearing of adam's death. i haven't quite been able to articulate it as well as you did.

KMiV said...

It is a tragedy. It is one that makes parents flinch and question whether we will ever let them go overseas, risk their lives, or leave our sight. It is also a tragedy that reminds us how wonderful it is when someone longs to help others, even at their own risk.

Ron