Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Peace

Is world peace possible? After 36 years of life, I have yet to see it. However, I do believe in it. My frend Jason made me really think about the subject recently. Do I really seek peace? Is it possible? I believe it is possible. I sometimes think I am in the minority on this subject. It's tought to think that such an undertaking could happen... World Peace.

I was encouraged when I found this in the book of Micah.

In the last days, the Temple of the LORD in Jerusalem will become the most important place on earth. People from all over the world will go there to worship. Many nations will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the Temple of the God of Israel. There he will teach us his ways, so that we may obey him." For in those days the LORD's teaching and his word will go out from Jerusalem.
The LORD will settle international disputes. All the nations will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. All wars will stop, and military training will come to an end. Everyone will live quietly in their own homes in peace and prosperity, for there will be nothing to fear. The LORD Almighty has promised this!


A wonderful response from the Lord... a magnificent promise. Yet, "WE" are the ones who seem to fight the peace our Father would have for us. What is our response to this?

James says,

What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Isn't it the whole army of evil desires at war within you? You want what you don't have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous for what others have, and you can't possess it, so you fight and quarrel to take it away from them. And yet the reason you don't have what you want is that you don't ask God for it. And even when you do ask, you don't get it because your whole motive is wrong--you want only what will give you pleasure.
You adulterers! Don't you realize that friendship with this world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again, that if your aim is to enjoy this world, you can't be a friend of God.


It doesn't have to be this way... War can end. Live can be lived. I was encouraged by an article sent to me by World Vision that offers peace to many children who are being used by the LRA in Northern Uganda against their will. After 20 years. It is time for peace.

Many of you have taken part in the invisible children campaign and are very familiar with the terror going on in the lives of children.

Pray for peace in Uganda in Jesus name. It is the only way.

For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility

-Ephesians 2:14

peace.
johno~

6 comments:

Jason Hill said...

Dude, that James stuff is off the hook!

I say it again, that if your aim is to enjoy this world, you can't be a friend of God.

That is a difficult teaching for sure. Check out what he says at the end of chapter 3 about wisdom and peace:

17But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.

I don't feel a duty to world peace, (perhaps I should). I do feel convicted to spread peace in my immediate location, however. With my neighbors, in my family, at my church, and with just about anyone I run into. I should be smoothing out the wrinkles as God's spirit works in me.

Johnathan M. Thomas said...

If you feel convicted to spread peace in your immediate "location" I would say you feel a duty to world peace. You just worded it different.

"Where your feet go, there you will find the world."

Are you bringing peace and forgiveness with you?

I noticed you said, "spread peace... with just about anyone I run into." I'm not sure if "just about" = "everyone."

Christ says, "But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..."

considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial, and sincere.

You're right my friend... Difficult teaching for sure.

peace.

Anonymous said...

Mat 10:34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

John 14:26 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

It would seem that world peace, and the peace of the Lord are quite different, for the current state of man.

Check out the greeting in almost all new testament letters: ...grace and peace to you... it would seem that you are in good company to use peace in closing your correspondence.

Niki said...

Hi Johno,
I saw a video on your site yesterday that I can't seem to find today and I didn't get to finish watching it. Am I imaginging things? It was about a music competition in Uganda.

Also, I have you linked on my website under "photography". Umm... not sure how make a link to it in this comment.

World peace... I'm always pondering this myself. I have hope! At the preschool I worked at we talked about peace and how to be peaceful... and these kids were 3-6 years old! I know it's on the heart of many individuals.

Johnathan M. Thomas said...

sorry niki... I took the video off because I thought it was creating problems for viewers...

You can find the video here.

It's called the "war dance"

Hope this helps.

peace.

Niki said...

Thanks Johno... I was very encouraged by this video!