Monday, March 20, 2006

So long Grandpa Walt... I'll see you later.

Not long ago I blogged about a friend of mine Walt Hamilton. An incredible man of God who lived 94 years and two weeks to the day.

Last night in our youth devotional we sang a song we don't often sing:

There's a stirring deep within me
could it be my time has come?
When I'll see my gracious savior
face to face when all is done.

Is that His voice I am hearing?
Come away my precious one.
Is he calling me?
Is he calling me?

I will rise up, rise up
and bow down
and lay my crown
at his wounded feet


Last night my friend, brother, Grandpa Walt would take the lyrics above and fulfill them as he stepped into eternity to meet the Lord. Walt was not perfect, he never tried to be. Walt was forgiven, he was redeemed by the blood of the lamb. He never told me what to do or how to do it. He wasn't a jerk. He was a simple faithful man.

When Walt was a kid, he grew up in Goldendale, WA on a farm. The farm sits on highway 97 and if you ever travel on hwy 97 just north of the Oregon, Washington boarder, you'll pass the Hamilton farm on the west side of the road. When Walt told me about the farm and his childhood before the war, he asked, "If you don't mind, could you give a salute when you pass by the farm?" I told him I wouldn't mind honoring this simple request.

I have kept that promise faithfully and plan to do so until we meet again.

Thanks for the memories.
Walt Hamilton - March 5, 1912 - 2006

peace.
johno~

1 comments:

Ryan Woods said...

This is a beautiful post.