Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Land of the free

Tonight was a night I'll not forget. July 4th, 2006. It's the night to celebrate our freedom, our independence... Children of all ages gather around to see the wonderful display of "fire in the sky" as professionals put on a brilliant show with "ooooooh", and "aaaaaaaaah!"

"Sweetheart, Let's gather the kids and head for the river for the show spectacular!"

Of course, our kids don't like the loud bangs, so we brought ear plugs for their little ears. We had our chairs and water bottles and even some candy to snack on. JACKPOT!

I even brought my camera to take some pictures. BTW, taking pictures of fireworks is not as easy as it looks.

We made it to the trail that sits across from the park that displays the Show. I had just set up my camera and snapped a couple test shots and then...

A LARGE FIREWORK EXPLODES about 25 feet from where we are sitting. Immediately the brush catches fire and the nice breeze we had helped assist the blaze that started.

Having worked as a fire fighter, my experience kicked in and I knew being up wind would be a good start... However!

Many people started running across the trail into the field, which was knee high with weeds and sage brush. That's bad. I thought, if that blaze crosses the trail, they'll never out run the flame...

We had packed in chairs for everyone, which I could care less about,,, As a matter of fact, I think my nice mag light is out there... But my wife grabbed children and chairs and bags and anything and anyone else and gave the official retreat call.

Before I could turn around they're running into the field... Remember, that's bad. So I called to them and told them to "STOP, GET OUT OF THE FIELD." My wife and 3 of the kids heard me and came back and moved up wind back to the trail... But, not Hannah. She was running for her life in the wrong direction.

I don't think I could type letters large enough to let you know how loud I yelled her names. Watching the fire lick the edge of the trail, I ran and yelled louder. Why couldn't she hear me. I'm not sure how, but after a few "HANNAH STOP!" she did. I grabbed her and moved up wind away from the fire and met up with my family.


Now, if you think my kids are freaked out about the noise fireworks make... I'm not sure they will ever be the same with any fireworks. PERIOD.

Now, my thanks to God. We arrived at the trail late. Our "regular" spot was taken so we move up the trail about 50 feet. The spot we would have been sitting at was engulfed in flames.

God is good. He has saved my family once again.

peace.
johno~

3 comments:

Jason Hill said...

Yikes! I'm so glad you are all OK! I was all settled in for a nice story about pretty colors and yummy snacks--I had no idea it would end with running for your lives. I will have to re-think complaining about inconsequential traffic jams on the the way home from fireworks. At least I wasn't tying to outrun a grass fire.

You are a good dad. And I'm glad it was your maglight you forgot and not your camera.

Please go back out there and post a picture of the aftermath.

Lori Ann said...

Yikes, that was a close call.
I am glad that everyone is safe.
That will definately be one of those stories to tell for years to come!

Adam Wolfgang said...

amen!

It's manlight, not maglight. I think!:)